I was trying to come up with a fun little gift I could give hubby for Valentine’s, something inexpensive that would still feel personalized. I started googling valentines day gift and I found a cute his and hers key chain at Walmart, it was like the BFF ones for little girls with two sides of a heart that fit together. I thought it was cute, but I knew hubby wouldn’t want to put it on his key ring.
I could just hear the exchange at work, “Dude, is that half a heart on your key chain?” “Yeah…. my wife made me…” “Dude you are so not manly!” Yep, that’s how I imagined it. So I came up with this instead. The arrow is made from an old gift card and the heart from scraps. It’s perfect because I get something cute and he gets something cool that won’t raise manhood questioning eyebrows. I made it quickly, at night, without taking pictures, so instead of the usual visual aids you get my hand drawn tutorial.
1. Start with a square shaped scrap of fabric and fold it in half twice as pictured.
2. Cut out a heart shape the same way you cut out Valentine’s as a little kid. You should now have two matching hearts.
3. Cut out a matching heart from scraps of batting as well as two short strips of paper and one long one. Sew the short strips to the front of your front heart scrap just below the hearts humps, fold the long strip in half and sew it to the inside (back) of the back heart. See pictures for further explanation.
4. Layer the hearts in the following order: back heart, batting, front heart. Make sure that the print of your fabric is facing out.
5. Sew around the outside of the heart. This took me a few tries. I used black thread on red fabric so the heart outline would show up and look cute. Now, just add a little ring and the heart is finished!
6. For the arrow, just punch a hole in the gift card and cut out an arrow shape. If you want to you can paint the arrow, but I left mine as is. I like the urban look it gave it.